Thursday, August 29, 2013

494. PixCell-Deer#24 - Kohei Nawa (Japanese, born 1975) - 2011

I was with my mother at the Met when we saw this. Both of us were captivated. Perhaps because I was raised in an American Mid-Western home were animals (particularly deer) were seen as ubiquitous food, I found this piece so compelling. Whereas I'd known deer as merely food or mounted trophies, here was a tricked-out trophy of a deer that through its ornateness seemed to mock the hunter-focused display of a deer heads I'd known previously. PixCell-Deer#24 is glorious. It's the most pimped-out version of a deer carcus I've ever known, and it's beautiful. Its beauty transcends my associations of taxidermy and the hunter grotesque to become something of a celebration of the animal and through its accoutrements a celebration of modernity itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment